How Packaging Adds Value to a ProductBy: phase1
The best companies know how crucial packaging is to their product sales. While many companies focus on creating the best products possible, they often overlook a central element of getting their items into a buyer’s hands — persuasive packaging. When you have an eye-catching package that reflects your brand, you’ll stand out on retail shelves and attract more buyers. By being more aware of how packaging can increase sales and how it adds value to a product, you can better develop your marketing strategy and bring in new customers.
Find out more about why superior packaging benefits products and some of the top tips you can follow to increase your product packaging value.
How Does Packaging Add Value?
When you want to raise your products’ sales and gain an edge over the competition, compelling packaging is crucial. Attractive packaging can add significant value to your product by inspiring more sales, improving brand awareness and boosting customer retention. If you want to know how packaging enhances marketability, you’ll want to start by looking at the primary ways it can raise sales and improve your relationship with customers.
Learn more about the top nine ways strategic packaging enhances a product’s desirability.
1. Improves User-Friendliness
Everyone’s purchased a product with packaging that seems almost impossible to open. This inaccessibility tends to frustrate the customer and prevents them from immediately accessing what they’ve bought. Even the most attractive packaging needs to be user-friendly because the product inside is paramount.
Accessible packaging is one of the best ways to add value to a product and raise the customer’s opinion of that product. Foolproof packaging can also inspire customer retention, as buyers will have a more positive experience with your product. As a result, by increasing your packaging’s user-friendliness, you can give yourself a significant edge over the competition.
2. Enhances Aesthetics
Attractive packaging can improve your products’ overall aesthetic. With an inspired package design, you can make your product stand out on store shelves and enhance a customer’s view of it. Additionally, when your packaging is compelling, customers will be more likely to give your product a second look instead of passing it by.
Aesthetic packaging can involve everything from choosing an appropriate color scheme to crafting an attractive design. If you sell products aimed at people’s visual tastes, such as beauty products, inviting packaging is crucial. Since the customer base is more creatively inclined, the packaging’s look will matter more to them.
3. Can Influence Customer Purchases
Your packaging’s informational and pleasing qualities can significantly influence a customer’s purchase decision. When buying products, customers tend to judge a book by its cover. If the packaging doesn’t appeal to them, they’re likely to put the product back down or not even look at it at all.
Since first impressions are crucial for selling products, an attractive and exciting package design can increase sales. An appealing package will resonate with customers. Additionally, informational packaging will let the customer know what the product does and how it can help them. Combining these two elements can make your packaging close more sales for you.
4. Reinforces Brand Messaging
Packaging can add value to your products by spreading brand awareness and capturing what sets you apart from the competition. Often, enticing packaging comes down to differentiating your products from competitors. Instead of trying to look generic and mildly pleasing to everyone, you can stand out by creating packaging fitting your brand. A distinctive package featuring an unmistakable brand message may not connect with every buyer, but it will do a better job appealing to your target demographic.
Outstanding package designs come from companies that have defined how their products differ from others on the market. After identifying their brand message, a company will then reflect it in their packaging. Enticing packaging featuring a brand message will showcase the product’s benefits, visually representing the advantages to anyone who sees it. By having well-designed packaging with a clear message, you can raise brand awareness and make it more likely customers turn to you in the future.
5. Conveys Brand Values
Alongside conveying crucial messaging about a product’s benefits, compelling packaging can also communicate your brand’s values. People don’t only buy products for their benefits and functionality. They also purchase products from brands that align with their beliefs and style. Since consumers’ values play a role in their buying decisions, packaging designed to convey a brand’s purpose is one of the best ways to raise sales and reach your target demographic.
Your brand values can involve everything from your mission statement to the causes you support. Superior product packaging will represent these, attracting companies who share them. For example, a company committed to sustainability can bring in customers who share that commitment by creating packaging that highlights their efforts to produce biodegradable products. By showcasing your brand’s values, you can increase brand loyalty, as customers will be more likely to continue to buy from you due to your shared beliefs.
6. Solves a Problem
When a customer buys a product, they expect it to be as simple to use as possible. Similar to the need for user-friendly packaging, the packaging your products are in should be intuitive. Since inaccessible packaging can make it harder for buyers to access an item, they can become frustrated early on and view your offerings in a more negative light.
In contrast, easy-to-use packaging inspires positive feelings for your products and helps buyers get to their purchase faster. For instance, you might choose cardboard boxes over plastic packages in appropriate situations to help buyers quickly access products. As a result, you can solve a problem by making product access quicker.
7. Differentiates You From Competitors
When you walk into a store or browse online, you’ll likely have hundreds, even thousands, of products all vying for your attention. If a company wants to stand out from the competition, they need to catch a buyer’s attention and keep it. Products with bland packaging and uninspired designs are more likely to get lost in the crowd and stay on a shelf much longer.
If you want to know how packaging provides value to consumers and retailers, much of it comes down to how unique packaging can get consumers excited about a product and inspire them to purchase it. By creating branded packaging that looks different from the rest and showcases how your product is the best on the market, you can attract more buyers. Craft unique packaging by incorporating specialized designs, brand-friendly colors, provocative text and a distinctive style.
8. Keeps Food Products Fresh
If you sell food products or other perishable items, your products’ packaging doesn’t merely serve an aesthetic or marketing purpose. It also fulfills a functional one. Various food items require different types of packaging to maintain their freshness and deliver a product in line with a customer’s expectations. As a result, there’s no one-size-fits-all packaging for perishable items.
For example, some bakeries choose to wrap their bread in plastic packaging to ensure it stays fresh while sitting on a shelf. In contrast, others select paper packaging if they want bread to have a crispy crust. Additionally, you probably wouldn’t want to put something like yogurt in a paper-based package, as it could seep out and spoil faster. By choosing packaging that retains a product’s freshness and the qualities buyers expect, you can add value to your product.
9. Raises Brand Recognition
Another essential function of successful packaging is its ability to raise your company’s brand recognition. The top brands on the market set themselves apart by being memorable. Without even seeing a company’s name on a product, a customer will recognize an iconic brand by elements such as branded color schemes, logos or designs. Customers are more likely to buy products from companies they trust rather than from unknown sellers, making packaging designed to raise brand recognition crucial to a business’ success.
When you ensure your packaging stays aligned with your overall brand’s aesthetic, you can begin to raise your brand recognition among your customer base. Persuasive packaging that consistently conveys your brand’s values and message will help customers more readily identify what products are yours when they’re in a store. Increased brand recognition makes your products memorable and helps your company become a go-to destination for their needs, buying your products on brand recognition alone.
Tips for Adding Value to Your Product Packaging
At Phase 1 Prototypes, we regularly help our clients increase their products’ value through our packaging solutions. We can help deliver packages designed to increase brand awareness, improve visual appeal, influence buying decisions while providing an exceptional user experience. Due to our experience handling a diverse collection of clients’ product packaging needs, we rely on a few best practices to ensure any packages we produce stand out. For example, we regularly emboss packaging, create prototypes and use metallic inks to add value to product packaging.
Find out more about adding value to a product with the following top tips for crafting successful product packaging.
- Use spot varnish: Adding spot varnish to your product packaging can improve its value, as this approach lets you apply raised visual effects to your packages. This added texture can make a product stand out and appeal to tactile-oriented buyers. While spot varnish used to be expensive to apply, our proprietary technology allows our clients to use spot varnish at a much more affordable cost.
- Add foils: You can often see foils used for individual or blister packaging, as they can add some sparkle to the package and make it more attractive. We can help you add foil in an aesthetically pleasing way to your products to attract customers.
- Print white backgrounds: When you have four-color images on your packaging, your background color matters. An ineffective background could make your graphics less compelling and fail to stand out. Applying a white background to your product packaging can help your four-color images attract customers’ attention. Since we know how crucial a background is, we regularly apply clear, white and four-color process inks on packages before adding images, ensuring they attract attention.
- Create packaging mockups: Before you package your product and put it on a shelf, you need to ensure the packaging will make a great first impression. Creating mockups can help you evaluate different packaging designs with test markets and focus groups to develop the most effective solution. When you work with us, we can print realistic and detailed prototypes you can use to find the perfect design. Additionally, we can create up to 500 prototypes for your needs.
- Use metallic inks: If you’re printing on metallic or matte surfaces, metallic inks can make your packaging stand out. These add shine to your packaging and attract a buyer’s attention. At Phase 1 Prototypes, we print our metallic inks via a proprietary digital substrate development method. This method allows us to apply metallic inks with various designs on many different packaging materials.
- Emboss packaging: Embossing is one of the best ways to add a textured visual effect to your packaging. Since embossing can make images, brand names and logos pop, many companies choose to use it. We regularly emboss packaging, and we can even use it alongside spot varnish to give it an even more attractive textured look and feel. We also use it for minimalist and simplified labels to add a subtle visual touch.
Turn to Phase 1 Prototypes for Your Packaging Needs
Due to the value of product packaging, you probably want to partner with a company able to handle your most challenging packaging needs. At Phase 1 Prototypes, we’re always on the cutting edge of the packaging industry, meaning we can help you develop the most unique and eye-catching packaging on the market. We have earned a reputation for our exceptional customer service and lightning-fast speed, delivering prototypes quickly and approved final packaging designs to you in three days or fewer.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.